Thursday, January 20, 2011

What I (Half) Watched Last Night: Godzilla v Hedorah

I haven't been posting much lately because I just can't seem to stay awake long enough to write anything.

The other day I came across the classic, Godzilla v., Hedorah  at crackle.com, a HULU type streaming site. Here is what Crackle has to say:
     "One of the grooviest and weirdest of all Godzilla flicks thanks to a hippie-rock soundtrack and a terrifying toxic foe."  Psychedelic Gojira?  I love Godzilla movies, always have, ever since I was a kid.
I didn't make it through the whole movie, but what I did see was pretty typical until the nightclub scene.   To set the stage, the seas around Japan are beset by a mysterious monster that seems to feed on industrial waste-who knew? When the creature first slithers onto land to feed and fight with Godzilla, Yoshimitsu Banno, the director, cut in scenes of a psychedelic band playing in a nightclub, complete with a liquid light show:







I searched the Internet for a video clip of the scene, but alas, there was none to be found. Here are some highlights I made using recordMyDesktop and Shutter, two programs I found in the Ubuntu Software Center.


The singer was wearing this great, painted on looking body suit:


It reminded me of Goldie Hawn from her Laugh In days, 

This guy is sitting at her feet, drinking madly.  His life is about to get very interesting,

Hedorah's first task upon arriving on the mainland is to do  bong hits of industrial waste from a nearby factory.


Oh wow.
A group of gambling executives come to a messy end in the sludge.


The man at Keiko Hawn's feet begins to suspect someone put something in his drink when everyone around him spouts fish heads


Bad Voodoo Tripping
When Godzilla and Hedorah do battle, Hedorah gets "splashed" all over the city, including the Fillmore Way East.
But suddenly withdraws, leaving an extremely hissed off looking Mr. Fuzzypaws.


I would be surprised if there was anything half as interesting as this in the rest of the movie.  I seriously want to get a copy so I can watch it anytime.        
A friend of mine sent me this link, it is the English language version of the opening credits:





No comments: