Sunday, October 13, 2019

Shocktoberfest 2019 Update #4

2001:  A Space Odyssey

Shocktoberfest 2019 Update #4

Seven more movies for Week 4! One first-time view, but numbers 25, 28, 30 & 31 were watched so long ago it was like seeing them as new. It was a treat to see them with what felt like new eyes.  Oh hey, I switched the list order in a way that makes more sense.

25) 2001: A Space Odyssey (1968) There probably is nothing I can add to the discussion Stanley Kubrick's film that has not already been said. However, I truly feel that for the first time, I understood why HAL malfunctioned and had to be killed. Humanity, for the first time since the "spark" of the opening segment needed to be rid of its erroneous, self-centered ego driven perspective before moving to the next phase of evolution.  Or something like that.  I may watch it again in 25 years and see something different.

[REC]
26) [REC] (2007) [REC] and all its sequels are personal favorites of the Found Footage genre.  The first one is a massively entertaining and frightening film. Because Angela Vidal is my favorite female bad ass, some day I am going to marathon the whole series (even though she is not in #3).

27) Get My Gun (2017) First Viewing! A revenge film that came highly recommended. but left me feeling like I watched the wrong movie. Please do not make the same mistake.

28) Carnival of Souls (1962) Literally had not seen this old, creepy and atmospheric oddity since I was a child. It is an eerie, hallucinatory black and white journey. They don't make them like this anymore.

Midsommar
29) Midsommar (2019) One of my favorite films of the last decade. My Blu-ray finally on Tuesday and I immediately schedule a movie night with my friends. I have to say that watching it a second time made it even better. The final scenes count as one of the most intense film endings I have ever seen.

30) Rosemary's Baby (1968) Roman Polanski's films are difficult to watch because all strike me as being well dressed, but ultimately nasty, misanthropic stories that also seem to really hate women. This movie is no different It is beautifully made and well written. It is worth the watch just to see New York City in the late 1960s. Those who are not familiar with it will find it entertaining and more than adequately shocking, especially the finale.

31) The Lair of the White Worm (1988) watching this wacky creature feature from the warped mind of Ken Russell is truly like visiting an old friend after many years and discovering that time has not only made them madder, but somehow more wonderful. It is funny, sexy, bizarre and supremely watchable.
The Lair of the White Worm
What else have I been watching for Shocktoberfest 2019?

No comments: