Saturday, September 21, 2019

Schocktoberfest 2019 Update

The Night Sitter
 A popular thing to do in the horror movie loving community is to share pre-Halloween movie lists. Not much of a planner, I am putting out my list as I watch it. So far, I am one week in with nine movies watched. Six of them were first watches, and 5 can be considered as releases.  Submitted for your approval,  a brief review of  Shockoberfest 2019 celebrations:



9) Incident in a Ghostland (2018) [New French Extremism] I just re-watched this last night and enjoyed it less the second time around. It is not Martyrs (director Pascal Laugier's most known film) level, it is an intense film. There are plenty of very brutal, had to sit through scenes. Still going to recommend it.

Night of the Seagulls
8) Night of the Seagulls (1975) [Euro-Horror] First Viewing! Amondo de Ossorio's fourth and final installment of the blind Knights Templar movies offered nothing new to the franchise that started so awesomely with Tombs of the Blind Dead (1972).

7) Depraved (2019) [Frankenstein isn't really a modern day Prometheus]  First Viewing! Writer, director, producer, food truck driver Larry Fessenden came to my attention back in the days of getting Netflix DVDs in the mail with his vampire film Habit. He clearly loves the horror genre and keeps himself being busy doing what ever he can to star, write, direct or support films. While  Depraved had a few false notes, it was an over all enjoyable film. One thing that made it stand out was it stuck so closely to following the creature's story, instead of ignoring it to focus on the doctor's arc.

6) A Girl Walks Home Alone at Night (2014) [Persian Vampires] One of my notable films of the last ten years, I had to re-watch it because I bought the Blu-ray. The first feature of Ana Lily Amirpour is a black and white feast of interesting characters and dizzying visuals.

5) Pumpkinhead (1988) [Horror/Fantasy Revenge]  First Viewing!I honestly don't know why everyone loves this film so much. I thought it was pretty awful, despite the special effects and a really young Lance Henrickson.

The Night Sitter
4) The Night Sitter (2019) [Horror Comedy]  First Viewing!Not so notable entry into the "I really wanted to like this movie more" classification. It was a delight to watch as every scene was bathed in Mario Bava like greens, reds and blues. The creature effects and soundtrack were also pretty good.

3) Satanic Panic (2019) [Cults and Sacrifices]  First Viewing!This movie was on my watch list for a long time before becoming available. Another horror film made by fans for fans. Director Chelsea Stardust is someone to watch. As a bonus, every time someone yells "Kildo!" I will think of this movie.
Satanic Panic
Rabid

2) It Chapter Two (2019) [Stephen King]  First Viewing!Gotta classify this one as another "I really wanted to like it more" movie.  After a pretty solid first chapter, the follow up was overly long, tired, and kind of anemic for the subject matter.

1) Rabid (1977) [Cronenberg] - A fitting masterpiece to kick off this celebration of all cinematic things creepy. For more details, please read my review.

No comments: