Monday, May 7, 2012

Death and Dying

video

My wife asked me to help edit her video for the "Death and Dying" class she is going to teach this summer.  She filmed a ten minute introduction in a local cemetery, sitting among the markers while going over the course objectives.


She asked me to make opening credits style introduction.  I thought of an old, possibly mid-60s horror movie.  First thing I did was  use Audacity's noise removal plug in to cut down on the ambient noise from her outdoor recording.  It was the first time I had ever tried it and it did a great job filtering out the breeze and other "white" noises.

Once I had rendered her cleaned up audio to the video,  I set that file aside and started a new project in OpenShot, a video editor similar to Window's Movie Maker, to make the title sequence.

OpenShot uses a time line to mix together several video and audio tracks at once.  The top layer is reserved for the text part of the credits.  Those were rendered by a Inkscape, an open source vector graphics editor.  I wouldn't begin to know how to use Inkscape, but OpenShot has many pre-loaded templates included.  All I had to do was choose one, add my text and let it go.


 I used the other layers for the cemetery images from the video shoot.  Using some of OpenShot's video plugins and animation controls I added an inversion effect and then an animation control to give the images a vibration.  I used The Gimp, a great graphics program, to add some lightning effects to a couple of images and finally, Audacity to mix my audio files.

A couple of sites on the Internet offered some free sound files for the crickets and the lightning.  For a finishing touch, I used OpenShot's other title making plugin for a simple, 2D scroll across the first image.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi, would love to know where your wife will be teaching this class. Sounds very interesting. Thank you.