Tuesday, July 26, 2011

Ciao, Oxford

Ciao, Oxford
I know it is a couple of weeks after the fact, but I finally got my farewell compilation to the place that had been my home for the last five years (almost to the day).

I started making mix tapes 30 years ago, when I was in college (coincidentally, that was also in Oxford).  Making audio compilations, whatever format, has always been something I have enjoyed to do.  I often listen to my favorite ones on my iPod.



Before mp3s, I had an entire shelf of homemade CDs that I had created.  Now, it is so much easier to line up the songs in a playlist, maybe do some editing with Audacity and voila, there it was.

My main criteria for choosing songs is whatever I think would go right here.  There is little rhyme or reason.  I don't choose music because I want to communicate something that I don't have the words for.  Thankfully, those frustrating days are over.

I say that because after I create them, I like to share them and I don't believe people give them more than a cursory listening to (if that). I don't expect people to put an iota of effort listening to one of my mixes; that frees me up and inspires me.

Having said that, here is my latest mix.When we left Vermont to go to Ohio, I made a mix CD of what I was  listening to at that time, and gave away copies as a good-bye (or in some cases, hello) gift.  I have done the same thing and in addition to mailing copies I have posted the songs and a playlist at Mediafire.  I hope people will download it, listen to it and tell me what they think.  However, I am not holding my breathe.


CIAO, OXFORD
Songs of Travel and Heartache

1) INTRO-TICKET TO RIDE-The Carpenters
2) LOVE IS A LOSING GAME-Amy Winehouse
3) THE TRIP-Naz Nomad and the Nightmares
4) GOODBYE CARTER-Roy Budd
5) ONE ROOM COUNTRY SHACK-Mose Allison
6) MANY RIVERS TO CROSS-Jimmy Cliff
7) PEOPLE GET READY-Curtis Mayfield
8) HAVE LOVE, WILL TRAVEL-Black Keys
9) SHIVER OF VAMPIRES-Opening Credits
10) OH HAPPY DAY-Edwin Hawkins Singers
11) PRESSURE DROP-Toots and the Maytals
12) BACK HOME-Yusef Lateef
13) TROUBLE WILL REMAIN-Amnesty
14) PROFUNDO ROSSO-Goblin
15) I'LL COME RUNNING-Brian Eno
16) YOU CAN'T PUT YOUR ARMS AROUND A MEMORY-Johnny Thunders
17) SUMMER BREEZE-Jackie Mittoo
18) TOMORROW NEVER KNOWS-Junior Parker
19) FARTHER ALONG-Trio
20) ORGAN DONOR-DJ Shadow
21) GOD WILL TAKE CARE OF YOU-Aretha Franklin



No comments: